hairstyles trends and photography
If your over 20 years old, then you have pictures of your hair that makes you wonder what was I thinking with that style or cut. When looking up style articles I found that the common thread among stylists for 2012 was a new Retro look with many variations. My goal is to help you begin to explore those styles for your next photo shoot, so your hair looks fresh and with today’s trends. The big key factor in the 2012 trend is hair that looks healthy and soft.
When thinking about hair for portraits my number one tip is do not get your hair cut, colored, or permed right before your session. Visit your hairstylist 2-4 weeks before your portrait session. This also applies to trying out a new way to where your hair, unless you are going to have a stylist on hand for the session stick with a style that is you. Below I have listed some of the trends for this year, take time to explore them if one really works for you try it out for a couple weeks make sure it is something you want to have captured in a professional image for years to come. Also look at your closet what are you planning on wearing to the session? Make sure your hair style flows with your fashion style. If your going for a retro look let your photographer know so the session can be stylized to fit your retro look.
Now lets explore some those 2012 hair trends:
- The BOB its classic this year you will hind the bob is more square not as many sharp angles with just a slight rounding at the front. The Short wavy bob that Cameron Diaz is currently wearing is just one look your sure to see around this year. Be on the look out to see what other variations your favorite celebrities go with this year.
- Blow it Out Full body hair is back, not to the stand up level of the 80′s thankfully. Take some time to blow that hair back off the face and give it some soft body. You want to make it look effortless, soft and natural with some volume.
- Take it to the side! 2012 the trend is for a side part and a side pony tail. Use the side part to give a little volume, remember make it natural. The side pony you do not want your pony tail sticking out of the side of your head, the side pony needs to flow from the crown to the tip with a smooth or soft look.
- Waves for wavy hair this year you will see a couple variations one is a soft relaxed look that gives your hair some texture and that frame the face. The other is a retro wave think of the 20′s yet again with a softer look to it.
- Updo’s french twist, braids, and bouffants with head bands are all in style, the key to getting them right is making them look healthy and soft. For your french twist smooth, tight, and sleek in a very tailored look is the trend. Bouffant with headband is your thing well be careful that you don’t go to big with our height you want a nice pouf that can hold on its own without the head band. Braided updos keep them natural and casual looking this year, if you don’t have long hair a braided updo is not for you.
There is a small briefing on the current looks, I hope that it has inspired you to try something new or change up your current hair style with a fresh look. This weeks Fashion Friday I will highlight some clothing and hair options to help you see how a stylized shoot really comes together.